Nothing gives me more energy in the morning than my breakfast smoothie. The healthy ingredients that I incorporate keep me attentive throughout the day and full until lunchtime. I use apples, bananas and pears, which help to maintain weight and contain antioxidants, potassium, vitamin C, and fiber. Spinach is high in vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium and iron. This leafy green also benefits your hair and skin. Cashews and walnuts are loaded with protein. Cashews contain magnesium, which helps memory, and walnuts contribute to brain health.
My 10-minute recipe is below. It makes around a cup and a quarter.
- 1/2 organic red apple
- 1/2 organic pear
- 1/2 organic banana
- Handful of organic spinach
- 1/4 cup almond milk (See my homemade recipe!)
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 12 walnuts
- 12 cashews
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or flavor
- 1 teaspoon organic agave (optional)
- 2-4 cubes of ice
- Cut the apple, banana and pear into small pieces.
- Place all the ingredients (except the ice) in a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth. (You can use a Magic Bullet or NutriBullet instead.)
- Add the agave if you want your smoothie a little sweeter, and add ice cubes if you want it colder.
- Blend for another 15 seconds.
Your smoothie is ready! If you do not finish all of it, store in the refrigerator. It will last a couple days.